Saturday, July 24, 2010

An evening with the Nokia X6


The flock of iSheep is rapidly expanding. Nowadays, the line between the mobile phone and a pico-computer with a mobile broadband internet connection is blurred to a massive extent. It all started with Apple. The iPhone has undoubtedly forced all manufacturers at (water-)gun point to make phones with full-screen multi-touch interfaces. Nokia has not responded much to this trend and is still putting on new phones like the C6 with the more precise but less responsive resistive touchscreen.


One of their engineers recently, probably said, "okay lets try going capacitive". And what we have today, is an X6; available in 8-32GB guises with assorted colours. Today I just had my hands on one of them.



The X6 on my Macbook Pro's Lap


The X6's rear and its 5mp, Dual-LED-flash, Carl Zeiss lens (uncovered)

The screen, it certainly feels more refreshing, more responsive to the touch and even has that kinetic scrolling that makes it feel a bit iOS-ish. BUT.. things start to get a bit awry. Especially when I found out that I have to double-tap to open some menus in the 'Settings' page.. a bit lame. I also have not found my way around to change the wallpaper which is a boring drab of gray curvy lines, synonymous with the colour of the phone, shiny black. Another evidence that the S60 5th edition interface needs a serious overhauling.

Hardware wise, Nokia has usually made good pieces of hardware. But in this device comes one of the worst battery/sim-card covers i've ever met! It reminded me of the 5800 express music's cover but this one takes it to a whole new level of filmsiness.

I really really have to be at my most careful, zen-calm and refined self to replace or exchange sim-cards in order not to break the bendy, plasticky, thin plastic cover! Remove the X6 cover only where necessary, please.. it is a risk of your investment; if u really bought one. :/ I'm sorry to have to do it at least once since you have to put the battery and sim-card in. Luckily I don't have to take the same risk with the micro-SD card.

The filmsy, plastic battery and sim-card cover.

Still, I have to respect this feature-packed-to-the-brim device. It has a forward facing camera, GPS, HS[D|U]PA, WiFi, bluetooth that u can actually send anything to and fro, a micro-SD card-reader that's PC accessible, expandable memory, 5MP camera with carl-zeiss optics (supposedly), auto-focus, geotagging and dual-led flash thats one of the better phone-cameras out there. The X6 really still does some things that the folks at Cupertino are just barely starting to squeeze into their shiny new iPhones. Yet, I could buy 2 X6s with the money spent on a top-end iPhone 4.

I'll check these features out tomorrow.

Alright, I'm falling asleep writing this post. I shall also be spending some more time playing with the iPad at Apple Stores tomorrow! Wee!


No comments:

Post a Comment